As a parent, we all want the best experience for our kids…and these include their birthday parties. We can go from simple to extravagant celebrations.
Though there are so many things that changed in celebrating life’s memories, the ingredients in having great celebrations will always be the same: family, friends and good entertainment.
Here are some tips on how you can celebrate your child’s birthday and at the end of the day, you will say’ “It was a PARTY we had today”.
CHOOSING A THEME
The question is who chooses the theme, will it the parent or the child?
Since the party is for your precious little one, he or she should be considered in deciding about the theme no matter how old or young your child is.
The theme can be inspired by your child’s favorites: cartoon or movie character, book, story, color, food, activity, song or nursery rhyme and so many things. You can have “Minecraft Party”, “Black and White Party”, “Strawberry Theme Party” or a “Camping Party”.
The problem with kids choosing the theme for the party is they keep on changing their minds, it will be fairy party today and then tomorrow a ballerina party that your little one would like to have.
So, it is best that the parent and the child will consider the party as a project that they will be doing together and that they have to decide on the theme and remain focused on it weeks before the party.
PLANNING FOR GAMES AND ACTIVITIES
(Pirate Bowling Game made using softdrink bottles and paper mache.)
One of the highlights of the party is the activity you will be preparing for the kids.
- #1 When doing this, please always keep your theme in mind. You can have the classic party games but change some rules or items to match your theme.
- #2 Always prepare activities and games that children are capable of doing with very minimal help from adults. This gives them sense of accomplishment and builds self-confidence.
- #3 Make a list of the kids that will be going to the party and try to get their ages. It is easy to prepare for a group of kids the same age. But if the ages vary, you may prepare games for older and younger kids.
- #4 Always give simple rules and instructions to the children. Age-appropriate activities have higher rate of success when implemented.
- #5 Good games need good prizes. We do not want to give things that will not benefit our children. And we do not want the prizes we gave to go straight to the bin. Stickers, finger lights and bubbles are always a hit to the kids. And please let everyone go home with a prize. Giving out prizes for everyone encourages children to participate in games and activities. We want them to enjoy and not be upset for not getting anything.
- #6 Music adds more excitement to the games. It makes the game livelier and children are more participative if they can dance to the beat. Be keen on choosing the songs for the party. Make sure that the songs are kid-friendly. Refrain from using adult songs/music. We do not want our young kids to hear some foul words being used in lyrics of some modern songs. Make a playlist for the games and activities throughout the party for a smooth flow.
- #7 Activities like storytelling, singing and dancing and puppet show will surely entertain the kids.
- #8 The activities will also be influenced by the weather. Water play and water games are always fun during summer parties. It is best to have indoor parties during rainy seasons. If you are having your party at the garden, always plan for moving the party indoors in case of a bad weather.